Last night I had the chance to hear Gracia Burnham speak at my church. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but she proved to be an incredible woman with an amazing story and such a huge love for God. She spoke about her captivity with her husband, and her husbands death, and specifically about how to go through a crisis in your marriage. If you don’t know who Gracia Burnham is, or what her story is, watch this 9 minute video to hear a little bit about her story. I know it’s long…but it’s worth watching. You may even slightly remember hearing about her in the news about 10 years ago…
Here are a few of the notes I took while there last night, that I think are so simple and yet so deeply profound. I found myself still processing the things she said even today…
- The prayers of God’s people are powerful. [She had no doubt that it was because of the prayers of God’s people that she was able to get through each day.]
- Forgive yourself for your mistakes and move on.
- Get people around you and your marriage to pray for you.
- Despair and Depression can come from blaming everyone else for your problems.
- It’s hard to forgive when you think you’re the good guy.
- One of the surest ways to defeat the enemy is UNITY.
- Keeping focused on God and not on your hard times is what will get you through.
- Either you believe it ALL, or you don’t believe it AT ALL.
- Refuse to let your life story end on a tragic note. God has more for you after a crisis.
- Keep our eyes on others, not yourself or your problems…because problems tend to grow when you keep looking at them.
- Watch for how God is working.
- It is all for God’s glory.
- Stop trying to write your own story and let God have control of your life.